Building Maintenance Supervisor
This position involves performing and supervising subordinate technicians to manage and administer repairs and maintenance of County buildings.
The following statements describe the principal functions of this job and its scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including working in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the work load.
- Manages, plans, and directs the day to day facility operations of the County.
- Manages daily operations and maintains smooth operations at the Jail facility or other locations as assigned.
- Focuses on using excellent business practice to improve efficiency, by reducing operating costs while increasing productivity.
- Responds to emergency requests for facility and equipment repairs.
- Makes sure tools and equipment are properly organized and stored.
- Tracks facility work projects both unfished and completed.
- Maintains, orders and picks up the appropriate supplies needed for repairs and renovations.
- Requests, assembles and analyzes quotes and submits recommendation to Facilities Director for action.
- Maintains repair records and prepares related reports.
- Performs equipment and facility repairs as needed.
- Makes sure all maintenance work areas are clean and organized.
- Maintains a property list of tools and equipment.
This is a front-line position for providing customer service to members of the Sheriff’s staff and other County employees. Personal contact occurs with other employees of the unit, employees of other department in the County, citizens, and inmates at the Jail facility. Service is provided in person and by phone and email contact.
Direct supervision over a relatively small number of employees (two or more) with no indirect supervision. Includes assigning, directing, evaluating, and reviewing work of subordinate employees. Responsibilities include providing on-the-job training, evaluating job performance, recommending selection of new staff members, scheduling, and coordinating work operations.
Bachelor’s Degree Preferred; High school graduate or equivalent, five to seven years’ experience in employee’s field, with a minimum of two years’ experience in a related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License for required travel.
Master certification in the primary trade discipline; should be able to pull permits for the County.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements are representative of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Specialized Skills and Abilities
- Organizational and oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough and highly skilled knowledge of installation and repair of electrical, air conditioning, plumbing, sewer systems, painting and carpentry, cabinet making, masonry, and roofing.
- Ability to operate all new tools, materials and systems dealt with on the job.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Ability to take a teamwork approach to the job by cooperating with others, offering to help others when needed, and considering larger organization or team goals rather than individual concerns. Includes the ability to build a constructive team spirit where team members are committed to the goals and objectives of the team.
Machines and Equipment
To accomplish the tasks of this position, the employee will be required to operate the following machines and equipment: electric tools, meters, hand tools, table saws, solder equipment, measuring devices, air guns and staplers, jack hammers, for lift, vehicles, grinders, ladders, routers, torch, plumbing equipment, painting equipment, computer, calculator, telephone, and two-way radio.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will occasionally be required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and lift up to fifty pounds; and will regularly be required to sit, and frequently to talk or hear. There are no special vision requirements.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will occasionally be exposed to moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals, and regularly work in outdoor weather conditions. The noise level for this environment is moderate.
Work Schedule: Full-time; hours not specified
Salary: $24.39 per hour