Network Systems Engineer-OPD
This is a highly technical and professional position requiring expertise in desktop computer, virtualization and network technology. Reports to the Department Director or Designee
Examples of Duties:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in analysis, design, configuration, implementation, diagnostics, performance tuning, administration, and maintenance of the City's computer networks.
- Assist in the Installs and configures network servers, operating systems, network clients, print servers, and other network components to support SAN/LAN/WAN and Internet access.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of appropriate data backup and recovery strategy and procedures for network servers. Ensuring timely and consistent backup of all network servers.
- Assist in developing and maintaining an effective Disaster Recovery plan encompassing all systems supported by the IT Department, including thorough Disaster Recovery documentation.
- Initiates and coordinates all computer network-related projects through the design and implementation phases.
- Responsible for network troubleshooting as well as Internet and Email administration
- Evaluates new technology and products and makes recommendations for enhancements/expansion for pro-active network growth.
- Provides input to the development of the department's annual budget and ensures expenditures are in compliance with existing budget.
- Responsible for coordinating projects requiring the involvement of the Public Service staff and projects to provide interconnectivity between the City and other external agencies.
- Analyzes and resolves problems associated with server hardware, network operating systems, file and print services, email and internet services, and advanced connectivity issues.
- Develops and maintains full computer network documentation including network diagrams with detail describing functionality of all network components and inter-relationships as well as computer networking standards and procedures.
- Implements tools and utilities for remote client administration and automation of network administration tasks.
- Installs server and client virus protection software and ensure updates are applied on a timely basis.
- Ensures proper Change Management procedures are followed and backups are made before implementing any changes.
- Assists in training of City personnel in proper utilization of the computer network and networked applications as required.
- Responsible for maintaining an accurate inventory of all network server equipment and software ensuring adequate equipment maintenance coverage and software licensing.
- Provides regular progress/status updates on projects.
- Will be required to work on call hours as needed by the department.
NONESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Remains cognizant of and works towards department mission and goals.
- Shares tips, techniques, and information with peer
- Attends and participates in various meetings as required
- Performs other work as assigned.
Work Schedule: Full Time; Hours not specified
Salary: $55,800.00 - $65,00.00 Annually, DOE
- Graduation from an accredited 2-year college or university with major coursework in Computer Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years of paid experience of a progressively responsible nature in Technical Support of desktop computer hardware and software, and Network Design and Administration.
- An equivalent combination of training and professional experience may substitute for educational requirements.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Operators Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
- MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) certification required or obtained within 2 years of being in position.
- Certification or certified training in Citrix Netscaler Network and Microsoft Windows Server Administration.
- Cisco Certified Networking Associate certification required.
- ·Must be able to be onsite within sixty minutes when called for an emergency.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Proficient in network configuration and administration including VMWare, Cisco, and Microsoft SQL, network operating systems and related inter-networking issues.
- Thorough knowledge of network protocols, network components, and desktop computer configuration with strong diagnostic and troubleshooting abilities.
- Experience in Microsoft Exchange Email Administration. Possesses and applies a comprehensive knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures in implementing network security measures.
- Ability to design and implement computer network technology.
- Ability to physically install desktop computers, printers, and other computer equipment throughout City departments.
- Must be motivated, innovative, and results-oriented with a consistent desire to excel.
- Ability to analyze, interpret data, solve problems and effectively establish task and project priorities.
- Must have strong organization skills to effectively utilize time to perform multiple tasks concurrently and meet established deadlines.
- Ability to perform under pressure of deadlines with less than optimum resources.
- Ability to plan and direct the work of others.
- Ability to address and resolve conflicts in a constructive manner.
- Ability to read and comprehend technical and business material to stay abreast of technology trends and changes.
- Ability to learn new methods, procedures, and operations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and convey ideas persuasively in a concise, organized, and professional manner.
- Possesses good teamwork skills.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, employees, and public officials.
Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule
***(This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities, associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g. emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, or technological developments.))***