The Computer Programmer’s role is to develop, test, debug, analyze, escalate and maintain new and existing software applications in support of the achievement of business requirements. This includes writing, coding, maintaining, testing, and analyzing software programs and applications. The Computer Programmer will also research, document, and modify software specifications throughout the production life cycle. The employee will be assigned to a programming team. This employee reports to and is supervised by the assigned administrator.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: NOTE: These examples are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed in a position allocated to this class. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Collaborate with developers, programmers, departments, administrators and team members in developing software solutions for new business requirements.
- Analyze and assess existing business systems and procedures.
- Assist in the definition, development, and documentation of software’s business requirements, objectives, deliverables, and specifications on a project-by-project basis in collaboration with internal users and departments.
- Collaborate with team members to create optimal application and software design topologies and configurations.
- Identify and resolve emergency instructional and operational events in accordance with business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
- Maintain database security.
- Liaise with vendors for efficient implementation of new software products or systems and for resolution of any adaptation issues.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software improvements and upgrades.
- Liaise with network specialist, network analysts, programmers and programmer analysts and software engineers and developers to assist in resolving problems with software products or software systems.
- Consistently write, translate, and code software programs and applications according to specifications.
- Write programming scripts to enhance functionality and/or performance of applications as necessary. Administer analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas. Generate statistics and write reports for management and/or team members on the status of the programming process. Develop and maintain user manuals and operating procedures. Train end users to operate new or modified programs. Install software products for end users as required. Provide guidance to team members. Liaise with, and provide training and support to, help desk support staff on application issues. Assigned to service desk as needed. May be subject to on-call support duty on a 24 – 7 basis. Availability for occasional weekend service and after hours support during emergency and critical time periods.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $26.37 - $29.92 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Flexible and adaptable in regards to learning and understanding new technologies.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Medium Work - Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Sitting Resting with the body supported by the buttocks or thighs.
- Bending Lowering the body forward from the waist.
- Stooping Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist through the use of the lower extremities and back muscles.
- Crouching Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
- Reaching Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Grasping Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- Repetitive Motion Substantial and continuous movements of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Page Talking Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Those activities in which detailed or important spoken instructions must be conveyed accurately, loudly or quickly.
Hearing Acuity The ability to perceive speech and other environmental sounds at normal loudness levels.
Visual Acuity The power to see at a level which allows reading of numbers and text, operation of equipment, inspection of machines, etc.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Indoors/Outdoors The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Majority of activities occur inside. Worker may be subject to minimal outdoor environmental conditions. Noise The worker is subject to noise. Dexterity Utilize hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, hand and power tools, and to handle other computer components.
SKILLS & ABILITIES: Education - Graduation from a standard high school or the equivalent.
Experience - Three (3) years’ experience as a programmer, systems analyst, software developer or equivalent.
- Certificates and/or License - Degree from an accredited University / College preferred, training or industry certifications may be substituted for degree requirement or in part for work experience.
- Valid Florida drivers’ license or will obtain within 30 workdays.
Other Requirements -
- Proficiency in SQL, .NET or JAVA.
- Basic understanding of coding methods and best practices.
- Proficiency in relational database, file types and operating systems experience.
- Working knowledge of current Internet technologies.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.