The Computer Technician's role is to support and maintain Computer systems, desktops, and peripherals. This includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all hardware and equipment while ensuring optimal workstation performance. Troubleshoot problem areas in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end user training and assistance where required.
Strategy & Planning
- Assist in preparing, maintaining, and upholding procedures for logging, reporting, and statistically monitoring Computer performance.
- Accurately document instances of hardware failure, repair, installation, and removal.
- Assist in developing long-term strategies and capacity planning for meeting future Computer hardware needs.
- Support development and implementation of new Computer projects and new hardware installations.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of hardware and equipment contracts and supervise contract-based installations.
- Aid in development of business continuity and disaster recovery plans, maintain current knowledge of plan executables, and respond to crises in accordance with business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Conduct research on Computer products in support of Computer procurement and development efforts. Evaluate and recommend hardware products for purchase.
- Write technical specifications for purchase of computer, networking hardware and related products.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform computer, hardware and peripheral equipment improvements, upgrades, and repairs.
- Work with end users to identify and deliver required computer service levels.
- Liaise with, and provide training and support to, end users and staff on Computer operation and other issues.
- Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end user workstation hardware, networked peripheral devices, and networking hardware products.
- Where required, install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot associated end user workstation software and networking software products.
- Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex computer problems for a variety of end users, and recommend and implement corrective hardware solutions, including off-site repair as needed.
- Receive and respond to incoming calls, pages, and/or e-mails regarding computer and/or hardware problems.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of all monitors, keyboards, hard drives, modems, printers, scanners, and other peripheral equipment.M
- Monitor and test computer performance and provide computer performance statistics and reports.
- Construct, install, and test customized configurations based on various platforms and operating systems.
- If necessary, liaise with third-party support and computer equipment vendors.
- Provide guidance to junior members of the team as required.
Knowledge & Experience
- Excellent technical knowledge of network and computer hardware
- Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Working technical knowledge of current network protocols, operating systems, and standards
- Ability to lift over 25 lbs
- Effective interpersonal skills and relationship-building skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong customer-service orientation.