Director of Public Works
Location : Belleview
Job Type : Regular
Reference Code : 11340627
Hours : Full Time
Required Years of Experience : 7
Required Education : Bachelors Degree
Travel : No
Relocation : No
Job Description :
This is a highly responsible professional and administrative position involving planning, organizing, directing and staffing of the Public Works Department. The Public Works Department is comprised of water, wastewater, parks, cemetery, streets and stormwater collection operations. This position may also designated the City Engineer, and oversee engineering and surveying functions, whether in-house or contracted. This person must have extensive knowledge of Florida regulations pertaining to all aspects of the position responsibilities. This person works with considerable latitude for independent judgment and initiative and coordinates through the City Administrator.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for organization and staffing of the department in accordance with city policy; insures efficient operations of all public works programs including water, wastewater, parks, cemetery, streets and storm water collection operations; directs staff to insure developmental goals are met; insures city policies and departmental operational procedures are properly implemented.
- Responsible for the development of the departmental budget, including capital projects, with accompanying justification for all fiscal needs; continually monitors departmental budgets to insure compliance with adopted budget and all regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for construction project management to insure city compliance with all appropriate regulations; reviews and approves plans and specifications, bid documents, developer’s agreements, contracts and easements; approves construction project invoicing in accordance with project documents and funding requirements;
- Responsible to coordinate and negotiate with developers, engineers, and contractors, as well as other professionals and representatives of other agencies in the development and expansion of various projects including water and sewer services, road design and development, storm water management, park design and development, building projects and any other capital projects.
- Responds and resolves sensitive and complex issues from citizens, commissioners, consultants, other governmental agencies, and staff in person, over the telephone and through written correspondence.
- Responsible for record plat reviews, site plan reviews, surveying and professional engineering services.
- Responsible for recommending the hiring of consultants, architects, surveyors or engineers as needed for various City projects, such as the development and expansion of water and sewer services, road design and development, storm water management, park design and development, building projects and any other capital projects. Further, assists in preparing requests for proposals regarding such consultants, surveyors or engineers.
- Responsible for assisting in the preparation of requests for bids regarding various public works projects.
Required Qualifications :
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, public administration, or closely related field; plus
- Seven years increasingly responsible Florida governmental experience including supervisory / management experience in water, wastewater or general public works areas that would include streets, parks, and storm water management
- Valid Florida Driver's License plus for required travel
- State of Florida Professional Engineer’s License (preferred), and / or
- State of Florida Professional Surveyor and Mapper License (preferred), and / or Any other professional license or certifications appropriate to the position
- The Department Head is responsible for the development, organization, coordination and implementation of safety programs and safety education within his/her department. The Department Head is also responsible for the fulfillment of departmental goals and objectives as well as the health and welfare of each employee in the department. Although the safety related task may be delegated, the ultimate responsibility for meeting objectives and the protection of employees in performance of their assignments cannot be transferred.
- Assigned for use in accordance with City policy
NOTE: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the Commission reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e.: emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs or technological developments).
Salary: 76,447.00 to $118,493.00 DOE
Skills :Construction Supervisory Experience Wastewater Written and Oral Communication