Electric Engineer III
- Designs projects for 1-phase & 3-phase distribution feeders, large subdivisions, and commercial areas, including all calculations, CAD drawings, material selection, work order creation, permitting, and other engineering tasks associated with those projects, in full compliance with the National Electric Safety Code. This duty is performed weekly.
- Supervises, or assists, technician personnel in designing, engineering and generating cost estimates to furnish electrical services to residential and commercial customers. Reviews work orders generated by Engineering Technicians for completeness and adherence to construction and design standards. This duty is performed weekly.
- Supervises, or assists, technician personnel in creating and maintaining records and drawings of the electric distribution system using manual, computerized, CAD, and GIS systems. Visually audits large volume of detailed information for accuracy and completeness. This duty is performed weekly.
- Gathers information for load studies, site plans, road construction projects, and other information related to the operation and maintenance of the transmission and distribution system. This duty is performed monthly.
- Assigns work to the Engineering Technicians and insures that jobs are completed on time. Coordinates work with T&D, Meter Shop, Substation, and Purchasing. This duty is performed weekly.
- Investigates outages, low voltage complaints, and customer complaints. Analyzes power quality data and makes recommendations for corrective actions and coordinates work necessary to correct problems. This duty is performed irregularly.
- Reviews and approves transmission and distribution line switching orders. This duty is performed weekly.
- Reviews material and purchases. Provides appropriate specifications, standards, engineering details, and scope of work input for various purchasing bids for materials and services. Evaluates vendor bids using material standards and specifications and makes recommendations for approval. This duty is performed monthly.
- Personnel management including assisting in interviews, performance evaluations, disciplinary action, counseling, training and motivation. This duty is performed monthly.
- Performs all design work, engineering tasks, and generating cost estimates, for the transmission and distribution electric system including: substations, transmission lines, distribution system, installation of switches, capacitors, voltage regulators, protection schemes (including fuses, reclosers, and protective relay line switchgear), and system modifications for new substations. This duty is performed daily.
- Develops standards and specifications for material used on the transmission and distribution system. Researches and develops construction standards. This duty is performed weekly.
- Responsible for reviewing the transmission and distribution protection system and initiating fault studies to enhance system reliability and insure the proper coordination of all protective devices. This duty is performed weekly.
- Responsible for using engineering analysis tools to accurately analyze system characteristics and changes to the system; including, but not limited to, fault currents, phase balancing, system line voltage, feeder tying, spot load impact, and small scale generation interconnection & system response. This duty is performed weekly.
- Responsible for interconnection analysis and requirements for solar generation systems (greater than 99kW), including data gathering and coordination of various studies (as deemed appropriate) with other engineering consultants and agencies. This duty is performed irregularly.
- This position has field support responsibilities during major restoration events, and will be required to work in potentially harsh weather and terrain environments for up to 16 hours per day, with mandatory report-to-work responsibility. This duty is performed irregularly.
- Salary: $74,250-$134,100 yearly
Five year technical degree (I.E. bachelors) or equivalent experience required. In such fields such as engineering, science, computer engineering, etc, plus 8 years related experience and/or training, and 2 years related management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Operators Driver's License with an acceptable driving record
- Bachelor's of Science degree in Electric or Mechanical Engineering from a nationally accredited ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) college or university.
- E.I.T (Engineer-In-Training) or F.E. (Fundamentals Engineering) from US accreditation board.
PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- P.E. (Professional Engineer) certification, from U.S. accreditation board, preferred as higher certification, or must demonstrate 10+ yrs direct experience in electric utility engineering.
Mastery: Presentation/PowerPoint, Spreadsheet, Word Processing/Typing
Advanced: Enterprise Resource Planning, Other
Intermediate: Contact Management, Database
Basic: Alphanumeric Data Entry, Programming Languages