Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Job Type :
Reference Code :
Required Years of Experience :
Required Education :
Job Description :
This position reports to the Assistant Director and is responsible for highly professional administrative work developing, implementing and administering effective marketing and communications programs to support the Tourist Development strategic planning goals and initiatives. This position is critical for the Ocala/Marion County VCB goals to fulfill the business plan through an integrated marketing and sales strategy to further advance the strategic initiatives of the department and Marion County.
The following statements describe the principal functions of this job and its scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned. The omission of specific statements does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed, if such duties are needed for the effective and efficient management of the County. Work is reviewed through reports submitted through OMCVCB tracking tools and data to continually evaluate progress to quantify departmental accomplishments and the efficiency and effectiveness of the results obtained.
- Implements the department's strategic marketing and communications plan, social media and other work priorities and assignments to generate out of market exposure and maximize brand awareness for Ocala/Marion County.
- Assist the Director and the Assistant Director in the coordination, creation, and maintenance of Ocala/Marion County tourism marketing and communication goals and strategies.
- Implements and works with the Digital and Analytics Manager to evaluate effectiveness of marketing communications, public relations and social media programs and campaigns to targeted audiences to ensure effective integration across all varied platforms.
- Researches, analyzes and prepares for review by leadership, relevant information to media sources, and maintains destination “voice” in various out of market consumer facing channels.
- Deliver excellence in customer service to internal and external customers, stakeholders and the community.
- Manages brand development, branding guidelines and policies and brand implementation across department programs and platforms.
- Manages the department's multiple social media channels and social media campaigns in accordance with the research driven strategic goals of the department and in alignment with the OMCVCB media plan.
- Formulates guidelines for departmental communication procedures and policies and leads internal tracking tool that synergizes all internal and external initiatives with outside consultants.
- Creates, implements and ensures compliance of public information, education and community relations program guidelines in consultation with the Public Relations Department, additionally ensuring quality assurance and customer satisfaction of these programs.
- Implements crisis communications plan, as needed.
- Provides and promotes exemplary customer service, positive attitude and a forward thinking cultural behavior within the department and organization.
- Manages the photography and videography library.
- Researches and implements successful strategies to meet marketing and communications needs of diverse research driven audiences.
- Develops and maintains relationships with key media contacts to ensure consistent and aggressive editorial outreach. Tracks outreach and process with the OMCVCB tracking tools.
- Responsible for cultivating and following through the process of bringing journalists, bloggers, influencers, etc., to the destination as earned media opportunities.
- Execute Site Visits/Familiarization (FAM) tours when appropriate.
- Effectively communicate with local tourism industry partners on key communication in Requests for Proposal (RFPs), editorial leads, etc.
- Work synergistically with Visit Florida to advance all marketing and communications through their co-op and collaborative initiatives.
- Stays on top of trends in marketing and communications, social media and technology advancements and research trends to advance OMCVCB initiatives to ensure Ocala/Marion County is on the forefront of the tourism industry and DMO advancement.
- Promote and support the organization's guiding principles and core values.
- Travel required to industry tradeshows, conference and events as requested.
- Ability to travel and participate in evening and weekend activities as required.
- Ability to work long hours (including nights, weekends, and holidays) as requested.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
This is a front-line position for providing excellent customer service to members of the general public, other County employees, and clients of Marion County. Personal contact occurs with other employees of the unit, employees of other departments in the County, consultants, contractors, administrators, public officials, citizens, and customers/clients of the department. Service is provided in person, by phone or email. Maintains a pleasant cooperative attitude
with internal and external co-workers, customers and clients Maintains professional appearance, grooming and dress consistent with County policy and procedure manual. Supports the organization's guiding principles and core values.
Required Qualifications :
Education and Experience
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university in marketing, public relations, journalism or communications preferred or an equivalent combination of 5+ years education and work experience. Minors in, marketing, advertising, graphic design, and/or video production are preferred.
Valid Florida Driver's License for required travel
Certification as Travel Marketing Professional (TMP) preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements are representative of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents and reports.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Problem Solving Ability
- Able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Requires some judgment in selection of procedures, methods, or tools, equipment to own work to accomplish tasks.
Specialized Skills and Abilities
- Ability to create key communication tools for the audience segments in the OMCVCB Strategic Plan i.e. press kit, sales kit, sports kit, etc.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work independently, but also be comfortable working in a team-based and collaborative environment both internally and externally.
- Strives to provide excellence in customer service.
- Excellent verbal, written and proofreading skills. Strong writing style and telephone skills.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals; prioritizes and successfully coordinate multiple projects/deadlines simultaneously, providing great attention to detail in all work products.
- Ability to represent the OMCVCB in a professional manner in person, on the phone and in email.
- Tourism industry marketing and communications experience a plus.
- Ability to research, develop new marketing and communications strategies and multi-task a wide variety of projects.
- Computer skills, including Adobe Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, etc.), Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook required.
- Ability to assist with the leading of the agency of record with the content creation and maintenance plan for the OMCVCB website.
- Ability to prioritize goals and objectives while working effectively with leadership to meet deadlines assigned.
- Ability to effectively create, schedule, manage and execute across a multitude of social media platforms, including, but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
- Working knowledge of content planning and execution, as well as experience using social media scheduling programs.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director or Assistant Director.
Machines and Equipment
This employee is required to operate computers, calculators, telephones, cell phones, fax machines, copy machines and other office equipment as well as digital cameras, video equipment and desktop publishing software (including design and photo editing). Required to manage marketing and communication vehicles and social media platforms.
Work Schedule: This employee will work an on-call schedule, which may require overnight and weekend hours as needed to fulfill the requirements of the position.
Salary: $19.23 - $29.70, DOE
Social Media Platforms
Written and Oral Communication