Part-Time Education Assistant
The ARTSpace is a facility which is a part of the museum's Education Department. The incumbent will interact with scheduled groups and individuals from the general public who visit the facility on a scheduled and walk-in basis.The incumbent will represent and is the public face of the ARTSpace and the museum's Education Programs and will provide quality educational experiences for each guest. Although the incumbent will work with patrons of all ages, most groups are comprised of pre-school and elementary school ages.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Collaborate with the museum's Educator to plan, organize and lead ARTSpace Activities and Outreach Programs for people of all ages to introduce them to art concepts and encourage their interest in creating and appreciating art.
- Coordinate and schedule special events and group visits to ARTSpace and the use of the Bus Reimbursement Fund.
- Determine needs, request or recommend purchases, organize and monitor supplies and materials to ensure availability for use by ARTSpace visitors and museum Education Program participants.
- Monitor the ARTSpace and museum classrooms to ensure safety and cleanliness procedures are followed and arrange specific equipment set-ups as required to provide quality experiences are available for all visitors and students.
- Work with the Museum Educator to supervise and train student workers and volunteers who work in the ARTSpace. Serve as an Instructor when needed.
- Network with other museum staff to remain apprised of current issues and events that affect the ARTSpace and its programs.
- Research and benchmark other museums' programs and recommend changes and modifications to ARTSpace stations and offerings to assist in program development and goal attainment at the museum.
- Load and operate the kiln.
- Perform other duties as assigned to help the museum meet its goals.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required)
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction)
- Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid)
- Ability to clearly communicate both orally and in writing on a telephone and on a computer for extended periods of time.
- Routinely requires sitting at a desk and viewing a display screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer or other electronic device.
- Routinely requires moderate (up to 40 pounds) lifting and carrying
- Routinely requires Walking, Standing, Sitting, Kneeling, Stooping, Reaching up, Twisting and Bending.
Works in an office environment
Works in telephone switch room
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
- Bachelor's degree and experience in art instruction or related field required, or four or more years of job related experience in the filed in lieu of the degree requirement.
- Minimum one year of experience in Museum Education or teaching required. Experience working with groups of children.
- Demonstrated excellence in organization, writing, public speaking and verbal communication skills. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of art criticism, aesthetics, art history, design, studio arts and current approaches to visual art education. Demonstrated understanding of the educational philosophies, models, frameworks & methods that inform art museum education and are used to promote critical and creative thinking and to foster aesthetic development, visual literacy, tolerance and respect. Ability to handle multiple activities and projects simultaneously, to stand and/or walk for long periods in various environment conditions, and to work evenings and weekends.
Work Schedule: Part Time, must be able to work evenings and weekends
Salary: $14.67 per hour