Senior Building Inspector/Plans Examiner
- Performs inspections and plan review to insure compliance with local ordinances and state laws pertaining to all aspects of building, zoning, licensing, contractors' certification, permitting, alcoholic beverage regulations, and nuisances. This involves carrying ladders and other objects to access inspection areas which may include crawl spaces, roofs, etc.
- Involves various levels of record keeping with specific detail of violations and corrections to be utilized in hearings with the Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Municipal Code Enforcement Board, or civil court proceedings when necessary. Must be familiar with computer programs to access permit and contractor computer files, as well as sign and inspector computer logs. Visually reviews and monitors license and certification applications. Maintains a daily log and files regarding complaints.
- Involves extensive interaction with the general public, other city departments, contractors, engineers, architects, Department of Business and Professional Regulations, and other public and law enforcement agencies. This position frequently works with homeowners and must have a background in customer relations.
- Ability to independently perform all trade inspections without assistance.
- Provide mentoring and assistance to building inspectors
Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, five years journeyman level experience in the building trades, building technology industry or related field. College courses in the appropriate construction fields may be substituted in lieu of work experience.
Possession of Standard Inspectors License for Building, Mechanical, Plumbing and/or Electric trades.
Possession of Standard Plans Examiner License(s) in Building, Mechanical, Plumbing trades or the ability to obtain the required Plans Examiner License(s) within one(1) year.
Valid Florida Operators Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
Certified and licensed by Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulations as a standard or provisional building inspector per Florida State Statute 468, Part XII.
Availability for after hours rotation, including weekends and holidays is required. Must be able to arrive on the scene of an emergency within one hour.