Telecommunications Broadband Systems Engineer
Job Type :
Reference Code :
Required Years of Experience :
Required Education :
Job Description :
|This is a highly technical, responsible, and professional position in the installation, testing, operating and maintenance of high speed data networks, business telephone systems, fiber optic based digital transport systems, and related equipment. Responsible for the management of data and voice network operations. Reports to the Manager of Telecommunications. |
|EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: |
- Performs testing and installation of electronics hardware/software used in implementing data and voice network transport systems.
- Responsible for executing software changes and modifications to the Data Transport and VoiceSystems.
- Monitors and analyzes data and voice network systems for performance and problem indication. Determine causes of problems and initiates corrective action.
- Consults with vendor and manufacturer's technical staff to resolve network equipment problems and performance issues.
- Researches, evaluates, and recommends methods of enhancing network services to support and fulfill end-user requirements.
- Prepare reports and keeps records of tests performed. Responsible for updating databases and drawings to reflect as-built changes.
- Inspects, oversees, and monitors contract services and vendors for quality of work and conformance to installation and repair procedures.
- Responsible for coordinating projects requiring the involvement of the City of Ocala IT staff and projects to provide interconnectivity between the City and other external agencies.
- Maintains and troubleshoots City network edge devices for interconnectivity to the City's data network.
- Evaluates new technology and products and makes recommendations for enhancements/expansion for pro-active network growth.
- Makes recommendation for fiber optic path for connectivity of customer requested circuits.
- May need to work irregular hours and be on-call.
- Serves as technical contact between the customer and Electric Utility.
- Responsible for periodic evaluation of City network edge devices for life expectancy and end-of-life status. Once end-of-life status is reached, recommendation must be made for replacement equipment.
- Responsible for providing input to the development of the enterprise' annual budget and ensures expenditures are in compliance with existing budget.
Required Qualifications :
- Must have technical training in electronics or a related field with an AS degree or equivalent. BS degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field preferred. BS degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field may be substituted for the required experience.
- Three years experience with implementation and testing of LAN technologies such as Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Token Ring, and SONET. Three years experience with implementation and testing of WAN technologies such as T1/T3, MAN, Active Ethernet, andDark Fiber. Experience with network management using SNMP based platforms such as Sun Soltice, HP Openview, or Cabletron Spectrum. Three years experience designing and implementing operational and support standards for large network implementations. Three years experience supporting network operating system platforms such as NetWare 3.x, NetWare 4.x, Windows XP, and Windows 7.
- Three years experience with advanced configuration of Internet working devices such as bridges and routers in a multiprotocol environment (TCP/IP, IPX, SNA, NetBIOS) using various interior and exterior routing protocols (RIP, OSFP, BGP-4) preferred.
- Maintain a valid Florida Operators Driver's License. Business conducts motor vehicle check.
- Industry certification such as CNE or MCSE desirable, but not required.
Within one year of date of hire or promotion to this position, the employee must live and remain living within 30 minutes of the Electric Utility work facility (presently City Complex - 1805 NE 30th Avenue).
|SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION: |
- Must have working knowledge of standard methods, practices, tools and materials used for repair and maintenance of fiber optics, electronic and solid state electrical equipment. Must have the ability to work from service manuals and blue prints and diagrams. Must have working knowledge of hazards and safety precautions taken to protect persons and equipment in a high voltage distribution and transmission station environment.
- Must be skilled in the use and care of electrical and electronic test equipment used in the various areas of the specialty such as oscilloscopes, OTDR, digital logic analyzers, volt-ohm meters, communications line quality monitors, fiber optic testing and fusion splicing devices and other such equipment used in the trade.
- Must have working knowledge of industrial standards and requirements for the operation of data, voice, and video broadband networks transported over fiber optic and copper cables and wireless equipment.
- Must have working knowledge of how to utilize computer aided drafting equipment for updating drawing and schematics.
- Must be able to drive a city vehicle, sit and stand for prolonged periods of time, visually monitor computer screens, climb a ladder, bend, stoop, lift 35 pounds, walk on uneven ground, use a calculator, computer keyboard & mouse, telephone, and a two-way radio. Mental ability to evaluate visual and printed data/reports. Communicates clearly with others in English, orally and in writing about complex technical issues.
- Must be aware of and comply with all Ocala Utility Services safety procedures and wear all personal safety equipment as required by those procedures. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Work Schedule: Full Time, hours not specified (May need to work irregular hours and be on-call)
Annual Salary: $55,800.00 - $103,300.00 DOE
Ethernet TCP/IP network